Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 3 to 4 butterflied boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick strips
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4 cups of green beans (or broccoli if you prefer)
- Rice (you can use brown rice, white rice, sticky rice, jasmine--whatever you like best. Rice noodles also work well and cook in under 5 minutes.)
- 1 cup of low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 small or 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root (you can use dried ginger if you don't have fresh ginger)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce (Tamari, if you're making this gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil (you can do without this, if you have a sesame allergy. Still delicious!)
- Hot pepper flakes (optional: I love it with a kick but Lina really can't handle spice so we skipped it today).
Steam or blanche your beans or broccoli, and cook rice according to package directions, in two separate pots.
Meanwhile, mix you sauce ingredients in a bowl.
Heat the vegetable oil in a very hot wok or large skillet. Add sliced chicken, season well, and stir for about 4 minutes until almost cooked through.
Add sauce and continue cooking over medium-high heat for about 3 more minutes, tossing or stirring well.
Add the cooked beans or broccoli at the last minute.
Mix, and serve immediately over rice.