Here's how to pull this weeknight comfort food together in a flash:
- Boil a large pot of water for your pasta, and cook according to package directions.
- To roast the broccoli, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and thoroughly dry broccoli florets, about a cup per person. Kids starting in preschool can handle this for you.
- Season well with salt and pepper, and toss in a bowl with a hefty drizzle of good olive oil and roughly chopped fresh garlic cloves. Depending on your taste and preference, you can go heavy or light on the garlic. We use about two medium cloves per person, or per cup of greens.
- On a lined baking sheet, spread out the broccoli and roast for 8-10 minutes, turn it once, and repeat. Do not overcook, as the garlic can burn and the broccoli, at this heat, will be done quickly.
- When pasta is al dente, drain reserving a cup of cooking liquid.