- 4 to 6 cups of washed and cut baby new potatoes (Note: These vary in size, so just make sure all pieces end up being about the same size when you cut them. The tiny ones you can leave whole. They also come in three colors, red, gold and purple. We like the mix of all three, but you can use any. I prepare about 1 heaping cup of cut potatoes per person, for this dish.)
- 3 scallions, chopped (ends removed)
- a handful of chopped fresh parsley
- a handful of chopped fresh basil leaves (this is my own personal addition and adds a bright, summery punch that we love)
- 1/3 cup of vegan Vegenaise (basically mayo made without eggs, now widely available in super markets in the refrigerated section)
- 1.5 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice (or a bit more, if you like it more acidic)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Boil potatoes in salted water until cooked through (but not mushy), about 7 or 8 minutes, depending on size.
Drain and place in ice bath to help them stay firm, and prevent further cooking.
Drain again and place potatoes in a large serving bowl.
Mix dressing ingredients in a separate bowl, then pour over potatoes and and toss well to combine.
Season with salt and pepper and add chopped scallions, parsley and fresh basil and toss again before serving.
This can be served at room temperature or chilled, and tastes great with any grilled fish or meat.
A crisp, cold glass of white wine pairs perfectly as well.